This "stone" is the story of a personal struggle with vulnerability told in sculptural form, cast from the body of an Alaskan, and made by the hands of their community members.
By purchasing or sponsoring this item you will be investing in HUMAN:ties, a grant program for Alaskan creative advocates.
Restoration materials: Casting plaster, burlap, concrete (cement, sand, perlite, acrylic bonding agent), straw, 0-5% polyurethane insulating foam, iron.
Photographed by Michael Conti
1) I understand that all "stones" are in a process of physical and ecological evolution. Their condition changes every day, and will not be the same on the date of purchase as they are on the day of delivery and installation. Examples of changes that will occur over the course of seasonal changes include fracturing, eroding, and decomposing. Plant and animal life will populate exposed and interior areas, contributing to weathering and erosion, and an overall aesthetic transformation.
2) It is recommended that the above-described changes are encouraged, not arrested. I understand that if I attempt to arrest the ecological evolution of the stones, even if placed in an interior space, it will be an impossible battle against physical and biological forces.
3) I understand that this stone will be in a public setting until the end of the APU installation and may be impacted by natural and human forces. I do not hold Sarah Davies, the AK Humanities Forum or Alaska Pacific University responsible for damages due to vandalism or inclement weather.
4) As a sponsor, I understand that I am contributing this "stone" to a collection that will be installed into a public space, and that it is public property.
5) In order to keep delivery expenses down, Sarah is willing to deliver all purchased and sponsored statues to recipients on the central AK road system no sooner than January 3, 2017, and no later than June 30, 2017. As a purchaser, I understand that there will be additional expenses associated with on-road delivery to be negotiated and arranged with Sarah Davies. All expenses associated with deliveries into communities that require air freight will be paid by the purchaser/recipients.
6) As the sponsor of a statue for permanent public placement, I understand that Sarah Davies is presently researching placement options for the public collection. Alternatively, if I have a location in mind, and have secured all associated permissions for its installation, I understand that I can specify such details in this purchasing form, and that I am responsible for making follow-up arrangements directly with Sarah Davies. I further understand that if I am unable to make follow-up arrangements, Sarah Davies will find alternative placement for this stone.